Immigration requirements and One-semester Limit for Exchange

*Please note this information is subject to change. CIP will do our best to keep this information updated, but the most current information can be found on the IRCC website.

Please Note: Exchange students coming to Guelph in 24/25 will only be accepted for a one-semester stay

Based on the new immigration guidelines recently announced by our provincial government, the University of Guelph will only be able to welcome exchange students for one semester (~4 months) and not for our full academic year. Exchange students studying for less than 6 months do not require a study permit to enter Canada. To determine what documents you will need to enter Canada please check this Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada page and indicate you are staying for 6 months or less. 

Exchange students who were nominated to come to Guelph for the full academic year (fall and winter semesters) have been contacted directly and given a survey link to let us know if they would prefer the Fall 2024 semester or the Winter 2025 semester.  We hope the one-semester option will still meet students' personal and academic goals. It may be a shorter stay but it will still be amazing and we look forward to having you here!

 If you have any further questions or concerns, please address your inquiries to