Acceptance Letter and Visas

Acceptance Letter

Your exchange acceptance letter from University of Guelph will be scanned and e-mailed to you by mid-May for students who have applied for a fall semester or full-year exchange, and by mid-November for students who have applied for a winter semester exchange.  At this time, you will also receive an acceptance e-mail with a scanned copy of your acceptance letter and other important information such as how to apply for residence, the orientation program and fees.

Visa Advice

*Information about the NEW requirements for International Student Study Permits for exchange students

Due to immigration law in Canada, the University of Guelph can't provide advice to exchange students about visa requirements or applications.  However, helpful links to the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website information are provided below.  To ensure your visa(s) are processed in time, we advise you to start your visa application process immediately upon receipt of the original copy of your acceptance letter which we have mailed to the international or study abroad office at your home university.  If you do not need a visa to enter Canada, it is still a good idea to bring your exchange acceptance letter with you on your flight in case the Canadian immigration officials ask to see it when you arrive in Canada.

Study Permit

To find out if you need a Study Permit for Canada, go to

You can find out how to apply for a Study Permit at

You can find out the Visa processing time at​

Temporary Resident Visa

To find out if you need a Temporary Resident Visa (entry visa) for Canada, go to

You can find out how to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa at

Electronic Travel Authorization

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) will become mandatory on March 15, 2016 for those that want to fly to Canada and are exempt from the requirement for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).  An eTA costs $7 CAD, and is valid for 5 years or until the expiry of the passport (whichever comes first). Applications will be made online and will require a valid passport, e-mail address, and credit card.  In most cases, an eTA will be issued in minutes. 

You can find out how to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa at!%20Get%20Intercultural!

Visa Offices

If you have any questions concerning immigration and visa requirements for Canada, please contact the Canadian High Commission, Consulate or Embassy closest to your home. For a list of visa offices around the world, visit